Creamy Alfredo Pasta feat. the Almighty Cauliflower
Pasta can be a part of your healthy lifestyle
It's true! There are ways to incorporate delicious pasta dishes into a balanced diet without any guilt. The trick is to change up the ingredients by swapping the wheat-based noodles, heavy creams, butters, and oils for the good stuff. That's where ingredients such as cauliflower and cashews come in to help you enjoy this classic pasta recipe. Cauliflower is such a versatile ingredient that can pretty much turn itself into anything. I mean, you can use it to make pizza and "wings"? Easy to say that it's my favorite vegetable to keep in my fridge.
Creamy Alfredo Pasta (vegan + gf)
This is such a rich and flavorful sauce that it adds a “ooohhh! What’s in this?” to any pasta dish you make. Since the sauce calls for cauliflower as the base, it’s a much healthier option than the original cream-based recipe. But still oh-so delicious!
¾ cups soaked cashews
½ half of an onion
3 garlic cloves
¼ white wine (optional - but always use a wine you would drink)
1 head of cauliflower
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp tyme
2 tbsp coconut aminos (sub for low sodium soy sauce)
½ cup of veggie stock
1 large carrot (roughly chopped)
Two small potatoes (roughly chopped)
1 ½ - 2 cups of veggie stock
1 tbsp mustard
¼ cup nutritional yeast
Juice of 1 lemon
Dash of apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the cashews in hot water for at least 20 min (or in the fridge overnight). Drain and set aside.
2. In a large pan, saute the onion and garlic with some olive oil. After 2-3 min, add the spices and coconut aminos (you can use soy sauce if you can’t find coconut aminos) and the white wine (then pour yourself a glass🍷). Cook until soft and the onions become translucent (5 min).
3. Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and add them to the pan. Pour ½ of veggie stock and cover to let steam (add more veggie stock as need).
4. While the cauliflower steams, in a separate pot, boil the potatoes and carrot until soft. Set aside.
5. Once the cauliflower is soft, add the mixture into a large high speed blender along the boiled potatoes and carrot (you could use a food processor but you will have to do this in two batches).
6. Add the veggie stock, mustard, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon, vinegar, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add more veggie stock if too think.
7. Adjust to your taste.
Add the desired amount of sauce to cooked pasta (brown rice is my fave) and top with sauteed mushrooms and fresh rosemary!
If you have leftover sauce, store in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can add it to mashed potatoes, lasagna or dollop onto pizza (seriously so good!), bowl of chili, and baked potato.
I can't wait to see your dishes! Make sure to post a picture on Instagram to make all your friends super jealous of your amazing cooking skills. 💁🏻Remember to add #thegreenspatulahealth so I can see your creation! Do you have a favorite pasta dish that you would like to see me recreate? Let my know in the comments.
Hope you enjoy!